Wednesday, March 30, 2005

On Right Angles

While attempting to demonstrate to my class how to construct right-angles with a protractor, I drew several illustrations on the board. Soon all my students were able to perform the simple task, and I thought they were going on quite well, when one girl raised her hand.

“And they’re called right angles because they have to go right, right?”

I looked at the board and realized that in all my examples I had drawn the horizontal line of the right angle sticking out to the right. After praising Karrie’s insightfulness, I proceeded to correct the minor error. All in all, it was very funny, and no doubt she saved several of my children from missing a few questions on the recent TN state achievement tests.

Of course, no one is really going to find this story interesting, but one of the upsides of been a teacher is that everybody has to go “awww, isn’t that funny/cute/adorable,” no mater how lame the story is. Ha, eat that doctors and lawyers. When was the last time somebody told you your latest brief was funny, huh? TEACHERS ROCK!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who said "we" are not going to find your story interesting?? The fact is stories about children learning are always fun to hear...maybe it is because they remind us of being young and our only care in the world being whether right angles have to face right. *sigh* Oh, to be a child again sitting at a desk drawing right angles with a protractor...

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home