Monday, August 29, 2005

Seven Years 17.5

This is really just a tag on to the last part, but important enough to have its own entry. Reread the last part of the last one please...

Nevua 22nd

Lot has happened, mostly bad. Actually, I am hoping things will start turning around, because Link is finally back. He isn’t really like I remember though. He is pretty focused on getting to Gannondorf, but he said he was very worried about me (of course, he didn’t realize he WAS talking to me). I’m worried about Toran though. I get the strangest feelings whenever I’m around him… I mean yeah, I OBVIOUSLY realize he’s good looking, but I get that way around Link too. It’s something more then that; like today when he was washing off his plate I couldn’t help but see him doing that in the little hunting cottage my father used to keep on the edge of the forest, like my home is where he belongs, or vise versa you could say. Honestly, I think I’m in love with Toran. Damn, you sure have a way of making things complicated, don’t you Zelda? Why couldn’t you just fall in love with the guy you’re SUPPOSED to fall for. I mean, Link is the freaking HERO OF TIME, what about that isn’t getting through to me? It’s like-

“Hello, Zelda?”

Shiek nearly screamed as the voice echoed through her head but, after the initial shock, she realized it must just be the newly awakened Forest Sage. It seemed as though Link must have finished with the Forest Temple, and in only one day. It was very impressive.

“Uh, hey…”

“Oh, I remember you, you’re Shiek too aren’t you? Well, I said I’d see you soon…”

“Saria?”

The girl’s giggle answered as well as any words could have. Shiek was more then slightly surprised.

“So I assume Rauru briefed you on everything that’s been going on?”

“Yes, he is such a smart man; I am very pleased to have met him.”

“And Link?”

“Well, he still comes across kind of strong,” there seemed to be an odd, almost defensive, tone to Saria’s thoughts, “but he’s always had a nice heart underneath it all.”

“Ok… well, thanks for checking in with me, Saria.”

“Oh, my pleasure. I will talk to you soon!” she cut off with a girlish giggle.

After the conversation, Shiek wasn’t able to settle down enough to go to bed. Walking out to the corral, Shiek was surprised to see Malon still up. She was standing in the center of the corral, looking up at the moon, humming the odd little tune that constantly seemed to be running through her mind. Malon hadn’t noticed Shiek, and the young leader was trying to decide if she wanted to go talk to her, when a movement near the edge of the corral caught both girls’ attention.

It was a tallish lanky figure, walking cautiously up from the entrance of the ranch towards the corral. The glowing blue fairy floating above the stranger’s head made him fairly easy to identify.

Link had come to Lon Lon Ranch.

At first, Shiek felt her heart skip a beat. This could be a great opportunity to have a good talk with him. Then she was struck with a horrible thought. Link still thought she was a man, and she couldn’t enlighten him. Malon on the other hand would have no such restrictions on herself. Shiek did not know a single male Malon had not flirted with. In a quick statistical estimate, she realized it was well within Malon’s nature to try and get Link in bed with her for at least one night. Shiek tried desperately to come up with some course of action, but it was too late; Link was walking quickly towards the one person he saw: Malon.

Shiek stealthily weaved her way towards Link and Malon, trying her best not to be seen. Much to Shiek’s surprise, Malon didn’t immediately run to invade Link’s personal space. A hand floated to her mouth and her blue eyes opened wide. Shiek could tell for sure, but she was almost positive that a smile tugged at Link’s mouth.

“Hey, Lon Lon Ranch, right?”

It was the first time she had ever seen Malon off balance. She apparently couldn’t manage to choke out any words, and so nodded dumbly.

“You’re Malon right? Nice night isn’t it?”

“Uh, yeah… I guess…” Malon took a step closer, still staring at him with wide eyes.

“It’s been awhile since I last visited this ranch, how have things been?”

“Not that great actually… Indigo seized the ranch and threw out my father. I have no idea where daddy is, Indigo hurts the horses, he drinks and gets mad, and-” choking back a sob, Malon stepped closer, tears shining in her blue eyes, “and it’s so wonderful to see you again…”

Shiek saw Link’s eyes soften, and his hand reached out, brushing a few strands of red hair away from Malon’s face. Sighing, the hero let his hand fall down again, a sad look in his blue eyes.

“I’ll keep an eye out for your father, Malon, but there are some things I need to take care of. But trust me, things will get better… I swear it.”

With this Link turned and walked away, stopping to look back only once as he reached the ranch door.

Malon sank slowly down on her knees, sitting back onto legs. Her large blue eyes were still staring wide at where Link had last been visible. Slowly Shiek walked up behind her, slightly worried. Malon hadn’t acted like herself at all.

“Uh, Malon… you ok?”

Malon didn’t seem to hear. Her hand had drifted back to her mouth, and Shiek saw a single tear trickle down the brimming eyes.

“He… he came back,” she breathed, more to herself then Shiek. Turning, Malon looked up at Shiek, joy shining through the tears that filled her sky blue eyes.

“Fairy Boy came back Shiek. I knew it! The first time I met him I knew he would save me from this place, and he’s back now!”

“You know Link?” Shiek was more then slightly surprised to find out this out.

“Yeah, but I haven’t seen him in ever so long… it has to have been well over five years…”

Seven to be exact… Shiek thought, still trying to grapple with what had just happened. Sure, Link had to have been around 13 when she’d first met him, but for some reason Shiek had never given thought to his life before they knew each other. Obviously part of that life had included meeting Malon at least once, and they clearly remembered each other. It was odd and frankly slightly disturbing.

Sighing Shiek left Malon, still staring after Link’s long disappeared figure and headed back to the barn. She lay down to sleep, but it took many, many, hours for her to fall asleep

4 Comments:

Blogger Leeann said...

My favorite line in this section:
It was odd and frankly slightly disturbing.
Let’s just say I can REALLY identify with Shiek on a lot of levels right now… even the staring at the ceiling trying to go to sleep part. There’s something especially disconcerting about Malon’s oddness around Link – the fact that she’s not flirty with him actually makes it worse. I thought you did well with describing that without coming out and saying it. It’s going to be interesting to see where this goes, but I suppose I knew that all along…

10:04 AM  
Blogger Azrylle said...

Ahh!!! I mean, I know I already know, but... aaahhh!!!!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just so no one complaigns about me not commenting - here is my comment: I told you what I thought on the phone. *smile*

Can't wait till the next part...especially so Lee will stop pestering me to know what is coming. *smirk*

2:17 PM  
Blogger Campeador said...

All hail the CZAR!!!!

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home