Thursday, June 30, 2005

Seven Years part 13

Here it is.... I wont be around to update on Monday so I thought I'd do it now.... Things are about to get pretty fast and good in the story so bear with the slower stuff!

Toran woke up with a sneeze. He still felt groggy and tired, and if it hadn’t been for the hay seeds he had just snorted the young warrior might have slept for several more hours. Pushing himself up on his elbows, Toran shook his blond head and moaned slightly; he hated mornings. Slowly he sat straighter, and pulled his sore legs Indian style to him. There was a dull ach in his lower sides that reminded him of his little tiff with Shiek the night before. He looked around to see if Shiek was still around, and saw her sprawled in the hay. She still had on Malon’s dress, which was looking slightly worse for the wear, but her hair had obviously unmade itself during the little romp and her sleep. The long yellow locks lay tangled beneath her, hay clinging to it.

Toran stood up and splashed some water in his face. There wasn’t really anything to do till Shiek woke up, so he wandered aimlessly out into the ranch. He figured it must be about half past eight in the morning, so he wasn’t really surprised to find Malon already up and about. She was standing to the side of the corral, stroking one of the horse’s head through the fence. Toran walked over to her, listening to the odd little tune she was humming.
“Morning, Malon,” he began, leaning against the fence next to her.
“Hey there champ,” she responded, a smiled pulling at her mouth, “surprised to see you up this early…”
“So am I,” chuckled Toran, reaching out to stroke the horse head with Malon.
“You like horses?” she asked, an odd glow in her eyes.
“Yeah, I do… I’ve never been able to own one. I kind of envy you living here with them.” Toran’s hand continued to stroke the long head of the horse, until he brushed over Malon’s hand. He quickly jerked his hand back, mumbling awkward apologies. Malon laughed brightly and shook her head.
“Careful Toran… you’ll spook the horse if you jump around to fast.”
“Yeah… I just, well…”
“I know,” Malon said, her smirk turning into a soft smile, “you care about her a lot, don’t you?”

Toran closed his eyes, and took in a breath. Did he really? Two days ago he had known the answer, but that was before Link “Hero-of-Time, Savior-the-World, and Hyrule’s-First-Son,” showed up on the scene. After a second’s contemplation though, Toran realized that regardless of the fact of how Shiek felt about him or Link, he still cared for her more then anyone else he had ever known. He slowly nodded, opened his eyes, and let out the breath.

“Yeah… I really do…”
“I thought as much,” Malon responded, her smile widening.
“It’s just…” Toran heaved a huge sigh and shook his head. He returned to absently stroking the horse as he stared glumly ahead.
“There’s someone else in her life right now?” Malon more stated then asked, joining him in petting the horse.
“Yeah… she’s kind of caught up with the legendary Hero of Time.”
“Didn’t look that way last night,” Malon giggled, giving him a playful punch to the arm. Toran groaned inwardly, remembering that he and Shiek, regardless of how things had look, were still on the outs.
“Malon, seriously, despite how it looked when you came in we were actually fighting…”
“Right, I can buy that… you start by fighting, and it grows from there. That’s how it Draq and I did it all the time.”
“You and Draq?” Toran was slightly taken aback. He had no idea that Malon even knew Draq, much less that she had any kind of serious connection to him.

“Yeah, he and I are, well were I guess, together,” Malon said, taking her turn to stare glumly into space.
“Hey,” Toran said letting an arm drift around her slumping shoulders, “he wouldn’t want us to mope about him. He was a great friend, and we’ll see him again someday.”
Malon smiled, and rubbed the horse’s head again.
“Father used to tell me that the souls of good people, like mother, become horses, running free over the plains. I think Draq must be a beautiful black stallion, his long mane flowing behind him as he streaks across the plain. He would be so happy to be free, to finally be done with all the responsibilities he had.”
“A horse? I like that… it sounds right. Like it fits Draq somehow,” Toran murmured, giving Malon a little squeeze, “you’re right… he’d be very happy.”

The two stood there rubbing the horse and not speaking for a few minuets. Finally, it was Malon broke the silence.
“I’m sure he is very happy, wherever he is. Strong noble people like him have to end up in a good place… and I guess even though I’m sad he not with me anymore, I know he is probably better off, and that helps a lot.”
“Sounds good to me,” Toran replied, giving the ranch girl another squeeze before letting her go to turn and lean back against the fence.
“Thanks for listening Toran,” Malon said, giving him a bittersweet smile, “You’re very good at it. You’re a wonderful guy, and don’t worry, Shiek will have to see sooner or later.”
“Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, Malon, but how can I really compete with someone who is so idolized?”
“By being yourself, silly!” Malon said, a slight laugh in her words, “like I said, you’re a really great guy… If I had a brother, I’d want him to be just like you…”
“I don’t know if I ever had any family,” Toran murmured, more to himself then Malon, “but I guess I wouldn’t mind a sister…”
“It’s settled then!” Malon exclaimed, giving Toran another quick hug, “we’ll be brother and sister!”
Toran wasn’t sure how exactly Malon had come to the conclusion that it was settled, but he had to admit it felt nice to have someone want him to be part of a family.

“Morning Malon!” came Shiek’s, surprisingly cheery voice. She had changed into one of her blue and white outfits that Toran had fetched from the cave, complete with turban and high face covering. Apparently the discovery that someone had found the cave had shaken her into heightened precautions about her identity. She glanced over at Toran and coughed.
“Morning Toran,” she almost growled, arms crossing over her chest. Toran gulped slightly; he had heard that tone before, and besides indicating Shiek’s anger, it generally predated his been sent on long ‘get-out-of-my-hair’ missions. His fear was deepened when Shiek gestured at Malon.
“Would you excuse us for a second, Malon… I need to talk to Toran.”
“Sure thing Shiek,” turning to Toran, Malon pressed a quick kiss to his cheek, and walked off.
“Catch you later, brother!” she called over her shoulder as she headed to the barn.

Shiek stepped in close, raising a critical eyebrow.
“What’s with the kiss?”
Toran defensively raised his hands, leaning back further against the fence as Shiek’s face tried to push itself up closer to his.
“It’s nothing, Shiek… gosh, she’s like my sister, ok?” he protested, wondering if there was about to be a replay of last night. Shiek stepped back a pace, a bit of confusion in her red eyes.
“Your sister?”
“Yeah, neither of us have any family, and we like each other, so we kind adopted ourselves as mutual siblings…” Toran knew he shouldn’t, but something inside forced him to go on, “sorry boss, didn’t know I needed your permission to like people… it won’t happen again.”
“Oh, whatever Toran,” Shiek retorted, anger flashing across her features. Her eyes softened though, and she shrugged.
“Sorry Toran, I know I come across too strong at times. Draq told me the same thing not long before he died.”
“That reminds me!” exclaimed Toran, moving on from their near brush with a fight, “I was thinking the other day while running back to the ranch, did you actually see Draq die?”
Shiek cocked her head to one side, obviously wondering what Toran was driving at.
“No… but Toran, it would have been impossible to outrun the Phantom Gannondorf, and there was no way he could have defeated it. What other option is there?”
“But think about it this way Shiek… we don’t know who the Forest Sage is. Now we do know that it is going to be someone who protects and guides the forest. According to what Malon says about what Draq did in his spare time, he might very well be that Sage. What if he had powers that we, or even he, didn’t know about? His Sage-ness might have woken up and helped him to defeat the phantom. He might be back at the temple, just too hurt to get back!”

Shiek considered for a moment, and Toran could understand her skepticism. Calling Draq the Forest Sage might be a long shot, but what if it was true? Finally, Shiek nodded, turning towards the ranch entrance.
“Ok Toran… it’s worth a look. I’m going to the village to check on Impa, you go to the forest and check for any sign of Draq, and Scela too actually. And be careful… if we are wrong, then that Phantom is still running around out there.”
Toran turned to grab his katana out of the hayloft and yelled back to Shiek.
“You be careful too… you’re walking right into Keef’s arms you know.”

He saw Shiek eyes narrow, cold hatred visible behind them.

“Oh, trust me… I know that very well…”

3 Comments:

Blogger Azrylle said...

I think I may know what happened to Draq! And I've been wondering for two whole parts now... lol

4:31 PM  
Blogger Leeann said...

I, on the other hand, have no idea what happened to Draq. So I will wait in gleeful anticipation. But I will say you’ve set it up as too much of a softball for Draq to be the forest sage, so it’ll probably be something else.
I must say I love this part:
‘Two days ago he had known the answer, but that was before Link “Hero-of-Time, Savior-the-World, and Hyrule’s-First-Son,” showed up on the scene. After a second’s contemplation though, Toran realized that regardless of the fact of how Shiek felt about him or Link, he still cared for her more then anyone else he had ever known.’
That is so true to life. I love reckless hope in the face of reality. And the sarcastic ‘Hero of Time’ comment is good stuff too. I do that all the time in my head, but I’m not going to name names for the sake of the not-at-all-innocent.
Looking forward to the Sheik-Keef fight. Not looking forward to the culmination of the Toran-Malon “brother-sister” thing. That will either mean that one of them dies in a fiery crash or they will get married, again, six of one, half dozen the other. Though I did like their afterlife conversation. I thought that was an interesting peek into the “theology” of Hyrule.
Looking forward to more as always :) And I have more up on Undal-Dhun if you’re interested. Enjoy.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Azrylle said...

Oh believe me, I too hold very little faith in the possibility that Draq is the Forest Sage. that's just way too easy, I think, lol.

I haven't really decided how I feel about Toran and Malon's... thing. I mean, everybody deserves somebody (in my mind, anyway). Now I know that some people prefer the "single life," but I just mean that everyone should have another person that they can trust above all others (besides God, of course). I feel for Toran though, mostly because I understand very well what he's going through. I definitely commend you on how well you’ve pulled off the struggle within the “love triangle” of Shiek and Toran / Zelda and Link.

8:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home