Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Seven Years Part Seven and one half

The left over of the last section... since nobody has posted comments yet I thought I'd try and get this up real fast. Not long at all.... Reread the last section and just move right into this for best context.

Shiek’s military life had made her accustom to rising early, but apparently Malon woke earlier.

“Oh. My. Goddess.”
Shiek’s head was fuzzy again, and it felt as though someone was squeezing her brain. She opened her eyes, only to immediately snap them shut again as a lantern’s light shone directly into her face.

“Oh. My. Goddess.”
Rubbing her forehead Shiek groaned slightly, still keeping her eyes tightly closed.
“Malon, could you please get the light out of my face?”
“Oh. My. Freaking. Goddess.”
“What’s wrong?” Shiek asked, pushing a few of her long bangs away from her eyes.
“You’re a woman!”
Shiek’s hand froze, and she instantly cursed under her breath.
“ummm, yes, I am…” springing up, Shiek grabbed her turban and mask, “sorry, it’s a long story.”
Malon broke into a wild peal of laughter.
“I BET IT IS!”
Shiek was finding this reaction slightly odd, but then the entire situation was more then slightly odd.

Malon set the lamp down and crossed her arms. Leaning back against the wall she gave a slight smirk.
“So, women aren’t your style, eh?”
Shiek blushed bright and nervously cleared her throat.
“Um, no…”
“Guess you’re straight after all…” she giggled. Suddenly her blue eyes darkened slightly.
“So, what’s between you and Draq?”
Shiek began to emphatically wave her arms, words coming out in spluttered waves of shock.
“Nothing. No. Whoa, no. I mean, wow. No. Nothing-”
“Ok, ok,” laughed Malon, “I get it. Who then? Toran? Or maybe Draq’s little brother, I know he’s cute…”
“Um, he’s still a kid…”
“I doubt you’re more then three years older then he is!”
“Well, regardless, I’m not attracted to him at all.”
“So it’s Toran then…”
“Look, Malon, isn’t there something you should be doing?”
“Oh! So it IS Toran!” Malon cried, falling down to sit on the hay. Grabbing a hand the ranch girl pulled Shiek down next to her.
“Come’on girl, spill. Neither of us are moving till we have a serious talk!”

Shiek wasn’t sure what to do. She wanted to get moving, but at the same time felt a strong desire to take up Malon’s offer. She hadn’t talk girl-to-girl with someone her own age in nearly seven years, not since she had fled Hyrule Palace and the Bloody takeover of Gannondorf. Sighing, she hugged her knees to her chest, propping her chin on them.
“It’s nobody on the team, Malon. I mean, they are all great guys and everything, especially Toran, but, I don’t know…” she finished with a shrug.
Malon’s blue eyes took on a knowing look.
“Already have a major crush on someone else, eh?”
“Sort of,” Sheik shrugged. How were you supposed to explain that you were madly in love with someone you hadn’t seen in seven years, and who also happened to have his existence doubted by nearly everyone you knew. Finding no words she merely shrugged again.

Malon smiled and moved on, realizing that Shiek wished to drop this subject. The two talked on and on, and by the time Shiek noticed how long she had been talking with Malon nearly four hours had past. Springing up, Shiek quickly began to wind up her hair.
“I need to get going, Malon,” she said, arranging her turban and pulling up her high collar/mask, “thanks so much for talking though.”
“Anytime,” replied Malon brightly, “after all, I don’t get to other girls much anyway, so it was lots of fun.”
“Um, about that…” Shiek began, a hint of hesitancy in her voice.
Malon laughed lightly.
“Oh, don’t worry Shiek. I don’t really understand why you want everyone to think you’re male, but if you want things that way I can respect it.”
Shiek smiled back.
“Thanks Malon.”“No problem, but you will have to try and explain it sometime.”

5 Comments:

Blogger Leeann said...

Sorry for not posting till now… been crazy (may I put my own plug in and recommend reading my blog).
Glad you posted this second part, though, because it helped me develop a thought jogged by the previous entry. I like the introduction of Malon. It is 100 percent true to life, right down to the “yeah, *someone* called you a name… cough cough, it was me…” There’s serious approach avoidance on Sheik’s part, it’s like she doesn’t want to like Malon, but because she’s had so little contact with other girls, she sort of has to like her. But I think there’s a realization, even in the first meeting, before the revelation, that they both have in common: they both care about Draq and they both don’t understand why he is doing what he is doing “to them.” They have both accepted being “used” by him, in a sense. Malon’s relationship sounds pretty much based on the physical, and even though she appreciates more than what’s skin deep about him, he doesn’t return it. He can’t. Sheik cares about him as a member of the team, but knows (at least from what we know so far, and his conversation with Toran) he’s only in this for himself. Now, I don’t think he’s an awful horrible guy and a traitor like I did before (even though I think you may yet surprise me) so long as he is telling Malon the truth about what he’s doing out there. Though to be honest, perhaps the movement of Gannondorf and Draq simultaneously isn’t just consequence… hmmm…
Anyway, back to Malon and Sheik. Their morning conversation is intriguing. Malon is all girl, mostly ditz. But you captured this personality type pretty well. The “ohmiwordyou’reagirlI’magirllet’stalkaboutboys!!!” clearly manifests itself here (you obviously spent too much time around me ;)). But from last night, we know there is more to her than that, the question is how far will she go to be vulnerable? Malon seems to be pretty out there with her heart on her sleeve, where as Sheik is apparently the opposite. Should be interesting to see exactly where that goes, what these two bring out in each other.
And as far as “bloodiness,” I think I’m getting used to it. And I like the new sequence because no one had to bail her out!
I want to know what makes Sheik love Link. I’m stuck on this and I know I won’t know for a while, if ever. But are they just destined for each other cause he’s a hero and she’s a princess? Do they really love each other or is it a, well, hey, I guess it’s supposed to be this way cause we’re both high up and hate the bad guy? I guess I want her to marry for love… sorry… I guess I’m getting ahead of myself.
Must say this is way cool. I hope there’s a happy ending.

10:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is soon time for me to go to bed, but I wanted to share my own thoughts about your recent additions. I must say I was not expecting Gannondorf to appear when he did, but (as Lee suggested) it does make me wonder whether he has any association with Draq. Then again, maybe that is just what you want us to think. Maybe Draq will play out to be quite a good guy, but at the moment he is rather a selfish dude…

Is it just because Shiek has magical powers herself that she was able to not obey Gannondorf’s command or is it her strength of “character” shall we say? You said it was her willpower, but I was trying to determine if that willpower came from Shiek herself or from her magical abilities. Something that did not jive in my imaginative picture of the Gannondorf “exchange” is when you say he “raised a massive fist above his head and brought it smashing to the ground.” That just seems like a hard thing to do, unless his arms are near as long as his body. Or did he bend down to do such an act – again an odd position to be in if he wants to keep his defense up (bending over just doesn’t seem very conducive to self-protection.)

I had to laugh at the name of the skeletons…Skultoids…very ingenious. I mean that in the best of ways…don’t take it as an insult or anything. And as far as blood – there is barely any – skeletons don’t bleed much and Sheik only has the reopened wound. *side smile* All that said, I thought your depiction of the scene with the Skultoids and Shiek very well described.

I have a small continuity question. It seems that Malon was very attentive to Sheik’s appearance. Why didn’t she notice the blood on Sheik’s veil? I was surprised you actually had Malon find out Sheik was a girl. Though I can see how this makes everything a bit more intertwined. Why does Malon call Sheik a Goddess?? My question probably comes from my lack of knowledge of this game, so I am sorry if that is the case…but I would like to know anyway. I am not sure why, but I am glad you had Malon and Sheik “talk”. I guess I was feeling sorry for Sheik and her lack of female friendship. I can’t help to also feel sorry for Malon, though I am hesitant to do so, because I have this feeling that she will either unknowingly betray Sheik or will help cause something dreadful to happen.

Keep up the good work Peter!!

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Czar said...

Malon doesnt actually call Shiek a goddess... she is expressing suprise in a way that someone living in a religion that only has female deities might, hint hint... Moreover, Gannondorf's arms are NOT the length of his entire body, so he did in fact crouch down to punch the earth. I thought that would be rather obvious, and still miss your confusion on the subject *wry grin*

And yes, Shiek willpower is internal. As has been seen (and will be proved again) she has a very stubborn streak.

Lee, I think you are flowing along perfectly with the story. You have grasped what drives Sheik and Malon to a degree and how they will begin to interact with eachother (sans one very important detail that will be coming up). I do think however, that you still are very in the dark about Draq. Please choose from one of your fifty zillion different theories about him and stick with it until proven wrong *another wry grin*

Thanks everyone for your thoughts... I love reading everyone's theories because the last final parts of this story remain unwritten, and you guys just make me want to twist the knife even more *wicked grin* But serious, I love EVERYONE'S thoughts, and wish I had more people sending feed back.

3:19 PM  
Blogger Leeann said...

Then I'm sticking with my theory that he's evil. I'm in an "all boys are dumb" mood at the moment...

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home